Begging

The financial crisis seems to be taking its toll. Heard that 1/3 of the Ukrainian population can't afford to feed itself.

There's more 'beggars' on the streets. I say 'beggars' because I don't think these people do the begging thing all the time. But every time they see someone who's a foreigner (cos all foreigners have money apparently!) or looks like they have some spare change, they ask for some.

Just got back from walking the dog and about 2 feet away from our place, a guy stopped us to ask for money. It's the 3rd time in 2 days.

That's the worst thing, the most vulnerable people are hit hardest. On my way to uni yesterday, I saw a babushka shovelling snow away from the entrance to a store. She was so old and frail.

She's not the only one. So many old people lost their money when the Soviet Union collapsed. It's just not right. I know life's not fair but it just seems so wrong to have to work so hard when you're so frail. I know most of the beggars including the babushkas on Kreshatik are controlled by the mafia. But sometimes, I can't help giving them money. They remind me of my own grandmother.

Comments

0 Responses to "Begging"

About