How good are you at regulating your emotions?

Quiz adapted from The Resilience Factor, by Karen Revich and Andrew Shatte. Use the following scale to rate each item:

1=Not true of me

2=Sometimes true

3=Moderately true

4=Usually true

5=Very true

1. Even if I plan ahead for a discussion with my spouse, my boss or my child, I still find myself acting emotionally.
2. I am unable to harness positive emotions to help me focus on a task.
3. I can control the way I feel when adversity strikes.
4. I get carried away by my feelings.
5. I am good at identifying what I am thinking and how it affects my mood.
6. If someone does something that upsets me, I am able to wait until an appropriate time when I have calmed down to discuss it.
7. My emotions affect my ability to focus on what I need to get done at home, school or work.
8. When I discuss a hot topic with a colleague or family member, I am able to keep my emotions in check.


Calculate Your Results

Add your score on these items:

3 + __ = __

5 + __ = __

6 + __ = __

8 + __ = __

Positive total __

Now add your score on these items:

1 + __ = __

2 + __ = __

4 + __ = __

7 + __ = __

Negative total __

Positive total minus negative total = __

A score higher than 13 is rated above average in emotional regulation.

A score between 6 and 13 is inconclusive.

A score lower than 6 is rated below average in emotional regulation.

If your emotional regulation is below average, you may need to master some calming skills. Here are a few tips:

* When anxiety strikes, your breathing may become shallow and quick. You can help control the anxiety by controlling your breathing. Inhale slowly through your nose, breathing deeply from your belly, not your chest.
* Stress will make your body tight and stiff. Again, you can counter the effects of stress on body and brain if you relax your muscles.
* Also try positive imagery; create an image that is relaxing, such as visualizing yourself on a secluded beach.

From Psychology Today

Comments

0 Responses to "How good are you at regulating your emotions?"

About